- [DISCIPLINED GOAL] Increase the viability of myOnline Stationery Business
- [EMERGENT GOAL] Increase my expression of “me”
- [EMERGENT GOAL]Take care of myself and the communities that matter to me
Disciplined goals(the top two) are what I consider HARD, and are explicitly part of my Groundhog Day Resolutions push. Theemergent goals“just happen” without me having to think about them because I am magical that way, and are NOT officially part of my Groundhog Day Resolutions task lists.
It was only last week that I realized there were two ways to handle the HARD DISCIPLINED goals, and that I had to take this into account:
- Make regular progress on CURRENT initiatives that are GHDR-relevant! This is the ongoingdaily workfor billables and immediate responsibilities to keep the machinery running.
- Make FUTURE opportunities by creating new packages! This is thefuture projectsthat bring opportunities, revenue by producing new assets.
Most of the time I’ll be working on maintaining longer-term projects and not the shiny new stuff in (2). Getting OK with that was a major insight. Also, I decidedNOT TO WORRYabout a lot of things and not be so hard on myself. The culmination of theRalph Baer Celebrationlast week also has helped me see that being an active contributor in a creative community islegitimate work, and I no longer have to feel like I’m not spending the bulk of my time doing “real work”. I AM DOING A LOT OF WORK, though not everyone will think it as such. But as far asMY PERSONAL MISSION AND CALLINGgoes, I think I’m doing it.
But I’m jumping ahead…let’s get toevaluating the week!
Via https://newsapi.org online business online marketing online business opportunities QUICK GRADING OF THE PAST WEEK: Feels like a “B”
Doing weekly reviews forces me torememberwhat happened. If I can’t remember, I can’t make corrections to my actions to keep my “disciplined goals” tasks on track. I see that last week was a verysocial week, which ordinarily is a red flag. However, it was excellent forbuilding community ties, which warrants a solid A grade. However, my maindisciplinedfocus was to bill as many hours as I could and finish packaging design. I got the packaging design done, but didn’t bill to my hour target, so I’m giving the week an overall “B” grade.
Let’s look at the specifics of what got done, using my “three slots of attention” model of managing task load:
- MEME – 9 billable hours, 1.25 unbillable hours: infrastructure work for supporting arbitrary drawing modules, directed graph representation
Via https://newsapi.org online business online marketing online business opportunities SLOT 2 “Online Stationery Business” Achievements
- Finalized ETP StickyPad Card Copy and Design
- Started basic “Toolfinder” landing page for website, referenced to by the card
- Got my accounting information to the accountant; taxes are done!
Via https://newsapi.org online business online marketing online business opportunities SLOT 3 “Personal” Achievements
- Personal Unified theory of Community, Excellence, Work
- Sorted into Hufflepuff, started buying lots of Hufflestuff!
- Tried Turkish Restaurant
The big achievement is a developing theory of howall my strongest interests and desirescombine together to form (the top item). Is it my core sense of self? My place in the universe? I’m not sure, but it feels like it’s something like that. I’ll be working on describing it better because it’s super-important, but for now I’ll leave you with three thoughts:
- It’s not “excellence” or even “the pursuit of excellence” that matters to me. It’s something else.
- Maybe it’slearning to empower ourselvesto overcome barriers stopping us from becoming ourbestest and true selves.
- I think when wepractice the habits that overcome fears and uncertaintiesandexpressing our idealsindemonstrable tangible form, excellence is the natural byproduct.
- This is very much made possible only within the context of asupporting positive communitywhereindividual achievement is indistinguishable with group achievement
Via https://newsapi.org online business online marketing online business opportunities TARGETS FOR WEEK (WITH CONCRETE TARGETS)
For next week, my goals are:
- SLOT 1 (DISCIPLINED TRACK) SOFTWARE MASTERY (SWM) – MEME draw from database code (about 70% done)
- SLOT 2 (DISCIPLINED TRACK) ECOMMERCE OPERATIONS (EOP) – Landing Page
- AUX (DISCIPLINED) – 80+ billable hours for March (currently at 26 hours)
- AUX (EMERGENT) – try to get some thing happening with the GHDR Subsite and related “PROCESS” post.
- AUX (DISCIPLINED) – get closer to 180 lbs (currently at 189) on Thursday (net gain of 2 pounds)
Via https://newsapi.org online business online marketing online business opportunities The Week in Pictures
MyPERSONAL UNIFIED THEORY OF COMMUNITY, EXCELLENCE, and WORKwas partially triggered by a conversation with my house guest, who pointed out to me how awesome thatHufflepuffactually is because they are all there supporting each other. I was likeWHAT? THAT IS AWESOME AND I AM ON BOARDeven though I sorted previously asRavenclaw. It makes sense now when I consider inMBTIsorting, I have anINTJ/INFPduality.
I retook the Pottermore test, and I am indeed sortingHUFFLEPUFF. Hooray!
In the world ofdesign, I also recently learned that one of my favorite graphic design referenceA Smile in the Mind, had been updated for 2016 (above, right). The original 2006 edition of the book is listed in mygraphic design book list, so I naturally had to buy the new one to see the new examples. I find the captions to be somewhat shakily written, to be honest, but overall it’s nice to see examples of graphic design that are more than swooshes and the trendy color of the year.
Speaking of design, I finished updating thefront and back cardsfor the ETP 4X6 StickyPad (above). These will be going out to Amazon by the end of the month, I hope. It’s a new design to make better use of the space, and corrects two issues that were present on the most recent production runs that I only caught last month. This is a draft; the final version doesn’t have my picture on the new inside-front cover.
In the world of local eating, I tried severalnew dishesfrom restaurants I’ve recently learned about. From GOLDEN KOI in Milford, I tried theirbraised pork over rice(below left), which is very much like a disk from Taiwan I love. Add a porkchop and some vegetables, and you have something that’s pretty close to abien dang. I also have been on a Mediterranean food kick, and got to try out several dishes from MATBAH in Manchester (below middle and right). The first picture is of something calledmanti, which consists of dumplings in something like a bechamel sauce, and the second picture is just of someTurkish coffeewhich is hard to find in my area. The best dish though that I don’t have a picture of was thesecabbage rollsstuffed with lamb. At $14, though, they were a bit pricey…lamb ain’t cheap!
An interesting shared experience from thevirtual coworking chat roomlast week wasgetting unstuck. I commented that one way I got unstuck was byfreewritingin my digital notebook (in this example below left, a text editor). I write like a moron until I get all those bits out, and the thinking starts happening…it takes a few minutes.
online business online marketing online business opportunities  Freewriting to remember what I was doing” src=”https://davidseah.com/_wpcontent/imgcache/images/19/313-0314-rolling-start-01.jpg”>online business online marketing online business opportunities  Cleaning-up ideas in two dimensions on paper” src=”https://davidseah.com/_wpcontent/imgcache/images/19/313-0314-rolling-start-02.jpg”>online business online marketing online business opportunities  Rewriting freewriting into useful form for later reference” src=”https://davidseah.com/_wpcontent/imgcache/images/19/313-0314-rolling-start-03.jpg”>
Next, I starttranscribing and drawingthe good parts from my freewriting onto a piece of paper (above middle). The two-dimensional aspect of using paper helps me take the linear thoughts from the freewriting and group them into larger logical structures; patterns are sometimes more apparent, and the physical act of writing instead of typing jiggers my brain a bit differently. Finally, I take what I’ve scribbled andretranscribeit over the earlier freewriting into a form that will beuseful to the future me(above right). I try to make it concise, clear, and to the point.
Via https://newsapi.org online business online marketing online business opportunities Conclusion
It was a better week than I thought. The overriding concern was that I did notbill as many hours as I wanted. I would like to get closer to 20-25 hours per week than 10, but given the number of activities I had going on it was not surprising. This week I hope to really get the billable hours flowing andfinish my major deliverable.
So that’s it for now! Check in next week to see how it went!
|MON 1/1||New Year’s Day||Start thinking about resolutions|
|FRI 2/2||Groundhog Day||Make your resolutions. Assemble your peer group.|
|SAT 3/3||March 3||Review w/ group.|
|WED 4/4||April 4||Review w/ group.|
|SAT 5/5||Cinco de Mayo||Review w/ group. Think celebratory, spring-like thoughts!|
|WED 6/6||June 6||Mid-Year Review w/ group. Optional break for summer.|
|SAT 7/7||Tanabata Star Festival||Private Review. Make Wishes. Rededicate.|
|WED 8/8||Chinese Father’s Day||Private Review. Plan for future completion.|
|SUN 9/9||September 9||Review w/ group. Three months left.|
|WED 10/10||October 10||Review w/ group. Two months left.|
|SUN 11/11||Veteran’s Day||Review w/ group. A Day to be Grateful.|
|WED 12/12||December 12||End-of-year Review. Break for Holiday Madness.|