- Michael Sanchez was on Fox News on Sunday in his first TV interview since he was accused of leaking his sister Lauren Sanchez’s affair with Jeff Bezos to the National Enquirer.
- Michael Sanchez said Bezos came to him for help managing the press because he didn’t think Amazon’s public-relations team was capable of handling the story.
- But Sanchez has been identified as the source of the leak by multiple outlets and by Bezos’ private investigator, who said the National Enquirer’s publisher, American Media Inc., “practically pinned a ‘kick me’ sign” on his back.
- Sanchez said he would “cooperate with any of the investigations into the blackmail allegations against AMI and the hacking allegations against the Saudis.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Michael Sanchez, a key player in the Jeff Bezos sex-text saga, on Sunday gave his first TV interview about his involvement in the leaking of Bezos and Lauren Sanchez’s affair.
In aninterview with Fox News, Michael Sanchez, Lauren Sanchez’s brother, described himself as a close confidant of the couple before the National Enquirer published their intimate texts in January.
Michael Sanchez, a Hollywood agent, told Fox that Bezos even approached him for help handling the press around the relationship as Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie Bezos, filed for divorce.
“He said that he didn’t think the Amazon PR team was equipped to handle this kind of story,” Sanchez said of Bezos, the richest man in the world.
Amazon did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment.
Michael Sanchez added that after Bezos and Lauren Sanchez appeared together at a Blue Origin launch, before their relationship was public, “multiple tabloids” were on the story.
“Let’s cut to the chase: Everything that I did was to protect Jeff and Lauren’s love affair, and anyone who thinks money was the motive is an idiot,” he said.
Foto: Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez at the men’s Wimbledon finals.sourceAdrian Dennis/Reuters
But despite his efforts to portray a close relationship with his sister and Bezos, Sanchez has been repeatedly accused of being the source of the National Enquirer’s story on the leaked texts. CNN, the Daily Beast, and The Associated Press have all linked him with the leak.
What’s more, Bezos’ private investigator and head of security, Gavin de Becker, said in an article for the Daily Beastthat the National Enquirer’s publisher, American Media Inc., “practically pinned a ‘kick me’ sign on Michael Sanchez.” De Becker also described Sanchez as “estranged” from his sister.
In email and phone exchanges with Business Insider at the beginning of this year, Sanchez repeatedly denied sharing “penis photos” with AMIbut dodged answering questions about whether he’d leaked the written messages that formed part of the National Enquirer’s story.
Fox News reported that Bezos’ allegation that he was blackmailed by AMI with naked selfies was being investigated by the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, which has convened a grand jury taking testimony on the incident. Sanchez said he would cooperate with investigators.
“I will cooperate with any of the investigations into the blackmail allegations against AMI and the hacking allegations against the Saudis,” he said. “And one point that I want to make is that all of the investigations thus far have cleared me of any involvement in the below-the-belt selfies, which are the centerpiece of all of the investigations.”